Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Myth of Sisyphus

Albert Camus’ The Myth of Sisyphus is another book (of several) that I have owned for several years but have not had the time to complete. I thought that I could use the eternal repetition of Sisyphus’ punishment, and the idea that we must think of him as happy in his task of rolling a boulder up an incline and watching it roll down, to suggest something about the blindness associated with routine (its pleasant comforts and its failures). I wanted to find a good base image of an incline with a clear indication of an apex and flattening off (from the wealth of choices available on the web) and then use CorelDraw to add an image of a large boulder covered with all the good and bad slogans of the healthcare campaign I could find on the web. I imagined creating a huge groove in the incline to indicate how many times the boulder had travelled the same path. I wanted to place the straining Sisyphean figure, holding the massive plastered boulder on his shoulder, right at the upper lip of the incline, in a position that looked like he might be able to tip the boulder out of the groove and beyond it, onto the flat surface. The image below shows the general idea.


In one of my crazy thoughts, I thought I would place two figures with brooms guiding the path of the rock by frantically polishing the untraveled surface beyond the boulder, like sweepers in a curling game do, to give it enough impetus to clear the apex. I wasn’t quite sure whether it was a great idea or a ridiculous one. My inept graphic’s skills made the decision for me—and perhaps I am better off for it.

 
Jonathon Pope, 2010 Winter Olympic Games; Curling Team Sweden

No comments:

Post a Comment